Saturday 29 November 2014

Meet Mary-Lou Stephens

Today we welcome Mary-Lou Stephens to the blog. Mary-Lou answered five inquisitive questions about her book How to Stay Married.


Q.1. How To Stay Married bears the same name as a Jilly Cooper book. Do you find the two titles get confused?

Ive noticed a lot of books, as well as songs and movies have the same title. The Beautiful Girls have a new song out called Dance Hall Days and whenever I go to play it on the radio (my day job) I think Im going to hear Wang Chung! Yes it can be a bit confusing sometimes but Jilly Coopers book came out in the 60s and is a very different book to mine. Shes been married for 50 years now so clearly writing a book called How To Stay Married helps you stay married :)

Q.2. How To Stay Married is a partner book to your first book. In what way is this a sequel? Do you suggest reading them in the correct order?

My first book, Sex, Drugs and Meditation tells the story of how meditation changed my life, saved my job and helped me find a husband. How To Stay Married is the truth about the happy ending.
The books dont need to be read in order. I tell the story of how I met my husband in How To stay Married so you get the complete picture. The books work well alone or together. I had many people whod read Sex, Drugs and Meditation asking for a sequel which was wonderful. Im happy to be able to provide it.

Q.3. Who is the ideal reader for your book?

How To Stay Married is a memoir, as well as being a travelogue and a guide to relationships. Theres something in it for everyone. Ive used a trip around the world with cabin luggage only as a metaphor for learning to travel light in relationships of any kind. So if you have friends, a lover, a partner, colleagues or anyone in your life you want to get on well with, this book is for you. If you just want or need a great read this book is also for you. First and foremost its a story, as was my first book. A tale well told. If some of the tips in the book are of use in your relationships then thats brilliant too.


Q.4. Whats next? Are you planning another book in the near future?

My next book will be a novel. Ive written two tell-all books and now its time to make something up. The novel is set predominately in Scotland. Its about what happens when three women, whove lost everything, meet in a place known for making miracles happen. I also have plans for another two novels, two fiction series and a non-fiction series. Plenty to keep me busy.

Q.5. Have you had much feedback from readers this book has helped?

I have had a lot of feedback from readers who really relate to How To Stay Married. They laugh and cry to find themselves and their thoughts and reactions reflected in this book. Theres one tip in particular that readers find very helpful. Its one of seven tips woven throughout the book as part of my own journey however I have written a chapter of tips right at the end called For Those Who Like Lists. If you would like my Seven Tips to a Happy Marriage (and one from my mum) youll receive it as a gift when you sign up for my newsletter  http://bitly.com/ZR45up

Thanks for visiting Promote Me Please, Mary-Lou. For anyone who wants to know more, check out the links below.


Amazon author page 






No comments:

Post a Comment